Be a Positive Instigator, For Heaven’s Sake!
Human beings are extremely susceptible to what’s around them. When we surround ourselves with positive people, it can have a profound effect on our mental and emotional wellbeing. On the other hand, negative people or situations can drain us and leave us feeling deflated. This is why it is essential to cultivate a positive presence in your interactions with others. Being a positive presence means bringing encouragement, optimism, and joy into the lives of those around you, and in turn, creating a ripple effect of positivity that can extend far beyond your individual interactions.
Let’s explore what it means to be a positive presence and how you can cultivate this trait to improve your own life and the lives of those around you.
Why Being a Positive Presence Matters
Studies have shown that when we are genuinely positive and approach life with an optimistic mindset, we can notably improve our ability to handle stress, build better relationships, and live longer, healthier lives. Having a positive attitude and optimistic mindset can have an incredibly positive impact on our physical health, too. Research has shown that people who employ positive thinking tend to exhibit lower levels of stress, anxiety, and depression. In contrast, those with a negative outlook are more likely to suffer from health issues such as heart disease, high blood pressure, and excessive weight gain.
Simple Ways to Cultivate Positivity
1. Positive Self-Talk: The way you talk to yourself can help to shape your mindset, and choosing to focus on positive thoughts and even using positive affirmations can help cultivate a more optimistic outlook.
2. Complimenting Others: Offer words of encouragement to those around you. It’s a simple and effective way to spread positivity! One uplifting comment may shift a co-worker’s day, put a pep in your elementary school student’s step . . . and in some cases, be the thing that someone hangs onto in desperate times. Your words matter. Make them count.
3. Mindfulness: Mindfulness meditation can improve your emotional and mental well-being, helping you become more focused and present in the moment. Thinking about this moment enables you to let go of the past and not be looking to what’s coming in the future, but to be here now.
4. Gratitude: Starting a gratitude practice can be an effective way to cultivate positivity. Take a moment to reflect on the people and experiences that make your life more meaningful or enrich your daily life. An attitude of gratitude builds on itself, creating an ever-expanding circle of positivity!
5. A Powerful Form of Self-Care: One of the significant benefits of being a positive presence is the impact it can have on your own mental health. When you choose to focus on the good in your life, it rewires your brain so you see the world through a more positive lens. This not only improves your mood, but it also reduces stress and anxiety. Therefore, being a positive influence on those around you can also be a powerful form of self-care.
It is important that I note here that being a positive presence is not about sticking your head in the proverbial sand. It isn’t about ignoring or denying the negative aspects of life. We all face challenges and failures, and we should acknowledge them. However, we can choose to react to these challenges with a positive attitude and a growth mindset. By doing so, we can transform these challenges into opportunities for growth and learning.
As a licensed spiritual coach, I’ve recognized being a positive presence as one of the most important traits we can develop. Positive people are energetic, hopeful, and optimistic about the future. They are not just more productive and successful in their personal and professional lives; they are also happier and healthier. Moreover, when we exude joy, it has a contagious effect on those around us. A simple smile, a kind word, or a genuine compliment can brighten someone's day and even inspire them to pay it forward. This enables us to create a ripple effect of kindness, creating a more positive and uplifting family and community. Together, we can make the world a brighter and happier place.
Donna DeNomme offers psychic readings and empowerment sessions on Sundays and psychic fair Saturdays at For Heaven's Sake Applewood. Click here to learn more about Donna and call the Applewood store to schedule your appointment: 303-284-3470.